A Rare Glimpse

Friday, February 03, 2006

Reality

God sure knows how to send a jolt of reality at the perfect time to help set me straight about how blessed I am. A few weeks back, I had what I am sure was a divine appointment with an acquaintance. I've only met him a few times and heard about him through a friend. When I ran into him at the campus library, in the short time we had (I was in between classes), he opened up and told me about his childhood abuse, his violence and anger, his struggles with alcohol and girls, and various other issues. He also shared how he's had many encounters with God, experiences that he acknowledges definitely weren't just coincidences. He knows that God has much in store for his life; it encourages me that he has acknowledged God has a purpose for him. He is now moving (or already moved) back to the city where he came from, because he realized K-town was just a place to run away from everything and not deal with reality. He had so much more of a network of people to support him back "home" and I guess being away from that network made him recognize how important it was. Anyways, I ended up asking if I could pray for him, since there really was nothing left I could do, as he was leaving the next day. I am so glad he accepted the offer to be prayed for; he said he used to refuse other people praying with him. Prayer brought me closer to him and his situation more than any conversation could have provided; it allowed me to partner with him via God even though he is not in K-town anymore.

God, I pray that your angels would protect him from Satan's attacks on his weaknesses, I pray that he would allow the Holy Spirit to fill the void inside, and may his search result in a man of God who shines your light from within.